API Q1 Fundamentals Training Course
Created by the American Petroleum Institute (API), the 3-Day API Q1 Fundamentals course, teaches the stringent requirements of the API Specification Q1, 9th Edition: Specification for Quality Management System Requirements for Manufacturing Organizations for the Petroleum and Natural Gas Industry.
This course offers an in-depth look at the API Q1 standard, clause by clause, providing interpretation from API’s perspective, and focusing on each of the detailed requirements for documentation, implementation and record keeping.
Using “Think About It’s”, practical activities, and group workshops, this course helps attendees develop a hands-on understanding that will facilitate the successful implementation of a best in class Quality Management System certified to API Q1.
At the end of the course, participants should have the knowledge and understanding of the following:
- The background and objectives of the API Specification Q1
- Each of the API Q1 clause requirements
- The necessary steps to implement a brand new Quality Management System based on API Q1
- The steps needed to modify an existing ISO 9001 Quality Management System to conform to API Q1
- The API Q1 certification process
The duration of this course is three days, as follows:
- Day 1 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM CST
- Day 2 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM CST
- Day 3 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM CST
This course has a practical examination, completed and graded at various stages throughout the duration of the class.
A Certificate of Completion is provided to all participants at the end of the class.
The API Q1 Fundamentals training course does not have any prerequisite courses.
For individuals with little or no previous knowledge of API Q1 or Quality Management Systems, who would like to maximize their knowledge; we recommend Mireaux’s Fundamentals of Document Control class as a preamble and introduction to management systems, followed by an ISO 9001:2015 course (Implementation or Internal Auditor).
Students receive comprehensive course manuals with reference materials, including:
- Workbook with presentation and added notes
- Appendices with training copy of the API specification Q1, Cases, and Workshops
The topics in this course include:
- API Specifications and Certification Program
- Benefits of a quality management system based on API
- Quality Management Principles
- The Process Approach
- Structure of API Specification Q1, 9th Edition:
- Clause 4: Quality Management Systems Requirements
- Quality Management System
- Management Responsibility
- Organization Capability
- Documentation Requirements
- Clause 5: Product Realization
- Contract Review
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Design and Development
- Contingency Planning
- Production and Servicing Provision
- Control of Testing, Measuring, and Monitoring Equipment
- Product Release
- Control of Nonconforming Product
- Management of Change (MOC)
- Clause 6: Quality Management System Monitoring, Measurement, Analysis and Improvement
- Monitoring, Measuring, and Improving
- Analysis of Data
- Management Review