Safety & Environmental Management Systems (SEMS) Consulting
Safety & Environmental Management Systems (SEMS), aka the Final Rule for 30 CFR 250 Subpart S, represents a new approach to offshore management systems for the oil and natural gas industry.
Based on API Recommended Practice for Development of a Safety and Environmental Management Program for Offshore Operations and Facilities (API RP 75), the SEMS was first published as a voluntary standard in 1993. In 2004, API RP75 was modified to 30 CFR 250 Subpart S and adopted as a governmental standard by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement. 30 CFR 250 Subpart S was made mandatory after, but not as a direct result of, the Deepwater Horizon accident of April 2010. 30 CFR 250 Subpart S was implemented November 15, 2010, with one year given to reach compliance.
While an SEMS is an industry requirement for organizations with operations on the Outer Continental Shelf, it can also be an invaluable asset. By promoting a process-oriented approach to operating practices and focusing on continual improvement, a well-implemented SEMS can help your company organize and streamline its operations, reducing costly human errors.
Benefits of SEMS
- Reduces chances for human error
- Creates a structure for continual improvement of environmental processes and safety
- Promotes offshore worker health and safety
- Reduces accidents, claims, and lost work days
- Reduces risk of citations and penalties
- Increases employee safety consciousness and morale
- Potentially reduces insurance costs
- Reduces environmental impact
- Lays a framework for continual process assessment and improvement
- Improves corporate image among regulators, customers, and the public
Mireaux’s ISO Consulting Solutions
Mireaux Management Solutions offers partial or full turnkey assistance in your organization’s quest for SEMS certification.
What kind of leadership and service do we offer?
- Initial compliance assessment
- SEMS requirement training
- Facility-level hazard analysis
- Documentation and improvement of written procedures
- Creation of manuals, standards, and rules of conduct for safe work practices
- Assessment and organization of necessary safety and environmental organization Job Safety Analysis
- Root cause analysis training to enhance incident investigation and corrective action
In addition to implementation/consulting services, Mireaux can also provide auditing services for SEMS, including audit schedule creation, internal auditing, supplier audits, product audits, gap analysis, and external audit support.